There are thousands of children in Israel each year who are unable to participate in and celebrate their Bat Mitzvah.
Every year, WIZO organises group Bat Mitzvah programmes for children whose families who are unable to afford a personal celebration.
The girls participating in the WIZO Bar Mitzvah programme are from disadvantaged families affected by poverty, family crisis, bereavement or are single parent families or immigrants from Russia or Ethiopia.
Without WIZO, these children would not be celebrating their Bar Mitzvah.
The WIZO Bat Mitzvah programme includes:
• Jewish educational classes
• Trip to Jerusalem and the Kotel (usually their first time)
• Participation in community volunteer work.
• A festive family celebration
• Gifts of religious articles e.g. silver candlesticks, Magen David necklace and siddur.
WIZO NSW, The Women’s International Zionist Organization, is a worldwide non-profit organization that operates over 800 social welfare projects in Israel.
WIZO is recognised by the United Nations as a Non-Government Organisation, with consultative status on ECOSOC and UNICEF.