Bar/Bat Mitzvah Programme Israel – WIZO NSW
There are thousands of disadvantaged children in Israel each year who are unable to participate in and celebrate this religious milestone. This celebration is a key element in the practice of Judaism. These children cannot afford to pay for lessons which culminate in their Bar/Batmitzvah.
Every year, WIZO branches throughout Israel organise group Bar and Bat Mitzvah programmes for children whose families who are unable to afford a personal celebration.
Bar and Bat Mitzvah programmes have been held in the cities of Jerusalem, Petach Tikvah, Holon, Ramat Gan, Afula, Haifa and Netanya for small groups of twenty to forty children who reach this important religious milestone in their lives.
The boys and girls participating in the WIZO Bar and Bat Mitzvah programme are from disadvantaged families affected by poverty, family crisis, bereavement or are single parent families or immigrants from Russia, Ethiopia or other areas .
Without WIZO, these children would not be celebrating their Bar or Bat Mitzvah.
The WIZO Bar/Bat Mitzvah programme includes:
- Jewish educational classes
- Bar Mitzvah boys – Aliyah to the Torah (called up to the Torah)
- Trip to Jerusalem and the Kotel (usually their first time)
- Participation in community volunteer work.
- A festive family celebration
- Gifts of religious articles e.g. for boys –tefillin, tallit and siddur and for girls – silver candlesticks, Magen David necklace and siddur.
By participating in this special WIZO programme, the children gain a deeper understanding of Judaism and Tzedakah. It helps them become more productive members of society and creates connections between families and the community.
If you would like to help a Bar/ Bat Mitzvah child in Israel through your own Bar/Bat Mitzvah celebration this year, there are a lot of sponsorship opportunities you could consider!
- For $180 WIZO can provide gifts of religious items to A Bar/Bat Mitzvah child.
- For $600 WIZO can provide one child with participation in the Bar or Bat Mitzvah Programme which includes classes for a year, volunteer activities, a ceremony, a simcha, an outing to Jerusalem and religious gifts.
Select an amount for WIZO to donate to areas you may have a particular interest in e.g. The Pet Therapy Programme, providing extracurricular activities for disadvantaged children or support the WIZ Kids program for one year
In lieu of a Bar/Bat Mitzvah gift, a guest can make donation to WIZO in your name.
You could donate some money you receive from your own Bar/Bat Mitzvah to the WIZO programme.
Please call your WIZO State office if you would like to participate.
You will be joining other Bar and Bat Mitzvah children around the world who helped Bar and Bat Mitzvah aged children in Israel to celebrate their special time in their lives. Your donation will be recognised with a certificate from the President of your State.